Thursday, September 21, 2006

Innovation: Incremental and Quantum Leap

Vilno was not what I had envisioned in the late 1990's. But SAS was too proprietary and too expensive and SQL SELECT did not have the features I wanted. Instead of taking an existing data-crunching standard and creating a high-level productivity explosion tool on top of it, I opted to create a new data crunching standard from scratch.

It turns out, however, that this approach has some advantages. With Vilno developed, I can now approach the innovation puzzle in two directions.

INCREMENTAL INNOVATION:
Vilno 0.85 already shows much of this, and the core infrastructure allows tremendous room to grow - for example, a lot of data crunching tasks can be done with much less code if the GRIDFUNC transform can use a composite where clause. Vilno was designed from the beginning to get better and better. With just incremental innovations, in time, Vilno will leave SAS and SPSS in the dust.

QUANTUM LEAP INNOVATION:
A tool that sits on top of Vilno that implements a quantum explosion in productivity. Kind of like comparing Python to Fortan, if you get my drift. I know , intuitively , that this problem is largely solvable, and solve it I will.


I still have a deep familiarity with the nitty gritty problems of biostatistical programming(and data crunching in particular), and a healthy respect for the power and limitations of mathematical models, so the odds of success are very good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home